Friday, May 15, 2009

Two Years



Tomorrow will be two years since My Pawpaw passed away. Something about around this time the days are long and sad and something always seems to go wrong. While in bed last night I had several flash backs from 2 years ago today when I last spoke to him on the phone. The last words said was that was the best I have ever heard-Laynee had just gotten through playing the harmonica for him. She was three at the time and her pawpaw Buchanan had given it to her, she played all the time. Pawpaw never got to see her but only hear her. I like to think she put him to sleep that night. Mothers Day this year Laynee got to go with Aunt Becky to pick the flowers up and take them to the grave side. I hardly take her just from fear of the questions that I may not be able to answer. Becky said she did well and was really excited that she had given Granny Maxine flowers-she said I just know she loved them. I miss my pawpaw dearly, from evenings of making that short phone call just to check in or just surprising them by showing up- I can hear him saying now -Laynee come give pawpaw a hug-she would always run to Granny first just to agirvate him! He would laugh and act like he was crying...its those little moments that we take for granted! Miss you Pawpaw Barber!

Picture of Laynee playing.

This is the poem that we had the funeral home make book marks out of with the information that came out of the newspaper on the back.

When I'm Gone
by Mrs.Lyman Hancock


When I come to the end of my journey
And I travel my last weary mile
Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned
And remember only the smile

Forget unkind words I have spoken
Remember some good I have done
Forget that I ever had heartache
And remember I've had loads of fun

Forget that I've stumbled and blundered
And sometimes fell by the way
Remember I have fought some hard battles
And won, ere the close of the day

Then forget to grieve for my going
I would not have you sad for a day
But in summer just gather some flowers
And remember the place where I lay

And come in the shade of evening
When the sun paints the sky in the west
Stand for a few moments beside me
And remember only my best





No comments:

Post a Comment